Visit new-look Farmers Union Coffee Shop at the Minnesota State Fair
Aug. 14, 2018
Check out the Farmers Union Coffee Shop at the 2018 Minnesota State Fair! Minnesota Farmers Union (MFU), continuing its popular full-service coffee shop with local food, has brought a fresh new design to the shop that will better inform fairgoers about the organization and agriculture in our state.
The MFU building has stood since the 1950s, becoming a coffee shop in 2003. It has long been a source for people to learn about Minnesota’s family farmers and how the organization works for them. This year, MFU is making the shop even more engaging, aiming to further its educational mission with interactive content and locally grown food.
“We look forward to opening our new building to better serve fairgoers and connect them with those who grow their food,” said MFU President Gary Wertish. “Part of the fair’s mission is agricultural education, and we are doing our part to carry out that mission.”
As part of the redesign, MFU will display content describing its mission to protect and enhance the economic interests and quality of life for family farmers, ranchers and rural communities. There will be video footage showcasing MFU’s members. The organization’s work on the coffee shop has earned it a spot on the State Fair’s official New Attractions list.
The redesign will include more efficient customer service and a food preparation truck operated by Birchwood Cafe of Minneapolis. It will remain a full-service coffee shop, serving Farmers Choice Coffee roasted by St. Paul’s JS Bean Factory, including the popular nitro cold press, and three flavors of frappes.
The shop will also offer ice cream bars from St. Paul’s Grand Ole Creamery, with five flavors available. Lastly, new food options made by Birchwood will include Blueberry Rhubarb Cobbler (featured on the State Fair’s official New Foods list), an Heirloom Tomato BLT and Strawberry Basil Lemonade, made with ingredients sourced from Minnesota farms.
While reading about MFU and enjoying their treats, fairgoers can listen to local bands performing at the coffee shop.
In addition to the coffee shop, MFU participates in many other activities at the Minnesota State Fair. They are:
- 24, 2:30 p.m.: 25th Annual Celebrity Milking Contest, sponsored by MFU, Moo Stage at the Moo Booth
- 25, 5:45 p.m.: MFU at the 4-H Purple Ribbon Livestock Auction, Compeer Arena
- 26, 7:45 a.m.: 34th Annual Milk Run 5K, sponsored by MFU, Randall Ave.
- 26, 10:30 a.m.: 4-H Dairy Showcase Awards, sponsored by MFU, Compeer Arena
- 26, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.: 16th Annual Minnesota Cooks Day Program in Dan Patch Park. Fairgoers can pick up free Minnesota Cooks calendars at the Farmers Union Coffee Shop any time after the event.
- MFU sponsors the signs given to 4-H and FFA Grand Champions and the back number cards worn by 4-H and FFA show participants.
The Farmers Union Coffee Shop is at 1635 Dan Patch Avenue, just inside the Snelling Avenue Gate.
# # #
Minnesota Farmers Union—Standing for Agriculture, Working for Farmers (www.mfu.org).
Minnesota Farmers Union
305 Roselawn Ave. E. #200
St. Paul, MN 55117
8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.