The future of American agriculture and rural communities lies in the hands of those involved. As our hometowns and the face of family farming change, we need to ensure that those involved in decision-making understand and appreciate the role our communities play in the American economy and our society as a whole.
Our New Leader Academy is centered on the need for strong leaders in agriculture and our rural communities. Join us in this exciting year-long journey that will positively impact your life, livelihood and community for years to come.
Here are the current class members:
- Rachel Sannerud of Milaca
- Melany Thomas of Felton
- Jaime Malone of Wadena
- Mary Paul of Clear Lake
- Josie Trople of Northfield
- Fallon Ryan of Brainerd
- Anneliese Walker of Princeton
- Jode Freyholtz-London of Eagle Bend
- Randel Hanson of Duluth
Check back next summer for the next round of applications!
Five weekend sessions will be held over the course of the year, with the highlight of the program being a trip to Washington, D.C. Each session will focus on a new area that is instrumental in leadership and personal development. Those areas include but are not limited to: the Farmers Union toolbox, rural empowerment, communication skills, cooperative principles, and local, state and federal government.
Your investment is your TIME. Lodging and meal costs all are covered by MFU. A fun activity or free time will be included in each session. Come and network with those who have similar interests and want to make a difference in their communities.
Session Dates 2020
Session 2: Jan. 31-Feb. 2, Duluth, Minn.
Session 3: Summer session, 2 days in June, July or August as decided by NLA class
Session 4: National Farmers Union Legislative Fly-In, Washington, D.C., mid-September 2020
Session 5: 79th Annual MFU Convention, November 2020
- There is no maximum age for participation; however participants must be 21 years or older to apply and be selected.
- Applicants should be interested in pursuing leadership roles within Minnesota Farmers Union.
- Spouses are encouraged to participate but must apply separately.
- Babies and children may not attend any New Leader Academy activities.
Interested or have questions? Contact MFU Education Director Glen Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org or (651) 288-4066.