Visit Minnesota Farmers Union and Farmers Union Insurance Agency at Farmfest 2018
July 30, 2018
Minnesota Farmers Union and Farmers Union Insurance Agency will once again have a strong presence at Minnesota Farmfest. The event takes place at Gilfillan Estates just outside of Redwood Falls, Minn., from Aug. 7-9.
Farmfest is an annual event that brings together farmers, agribusinesses, government and agricultural organizations from Minnesota. Many elected officials and candidates for office will also be in attendance to hear from voters.
“Farmfest falls at a crucial time with the Minnesota primary elections just a few days later, as well as the Farm Bill’s renewal deadline of Sept. 30,” said MFU President Gary Wertish. “I encourage all farmers and rural residents to come to Farmfest and talk with those running for office, so they know what they are looking for in policy.”
MFU and FUIA activities include:
- PANELS: President Wertish will serve on a panel of agricultural leaders to ask questions of Minnesota U.S. Senate candidates on Aug. 7 from 10:30-11:50 a.m. They will ask about the candidates’ views on Farm Bill programs, trade issues, renewable energy, climate change, immigration and more. Scheduled to participate in this forum are incumbent U.S. Senator Tina Smith (DFL) and challengers Richard Painter (DFL), Karin Housley (R) and Bob Anderson (R). Also, MFU Government Relations Director Thom Petersen will participate in a panel forum called “Protecting Minnesota’s Water Resources: Public Concern and Landowner Implications,” which will be held on Aug. 8 at 1:15 p.m. The forum will focus on water quality issues, possible solutions and potential legislation that could affect farmers and landowners.
- AGRABILITY: Representatives from Agrability will be in the MFU hoop barn all three days to talk about how they can help farmers with disabilities and demonstrate Rollover Protection Systems (ROPS).
- AGRITOURISM SIGNS: MFU will have signs available for members and farmers at our hoop barn. Agritourism signs explain to consumers the risks of visiting a farm. For MFU members, the first sign is free and each additional sign is $7. Signs are $10 each for non-members.
- 40 SQUARE COOPERATIVE SOLUTIONS: Representatives from 40 Square and FUIA agents who sell 40 Square Cooperative Solutions health insurance plans for Minnesota farmers will be available in the booth to answer questions about the health insurance market, eligibility and available plans.
- PIZZA: MFU will have pizza from Big River Pizza available at our hoop barn. Additionally, University of Minnesota Farm Families of the Year may use a coupon for one FREE pizza pie at the barn, or 50 percent off a pizza at Big River’s restaurant in St. Paul.
The MFU hoop barn is located just west of the forum building in lot 509. Agents and staff from Farmers Union Insurance Agency, a full-service agency fully owned by MFU, will also be in the hoop barn.
# # #
Minnesota Farmers Union—Standing for Agriculture, Fighting for Farmers
Farmers Union Insurance Agency – Trusted. Local. Committed. (www.mnfuia.com)
Minnesota Farmers Union
305 Roselawn Ave. E. Ste. 200
St. Paul, MN 55117
8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.