Topics for county convention discussion
While you’re welcome to talk about any issues you’d like to at your county conventions, here are some ideas we’ve heard about more often. We strongly encourage you to bring resolutions to your convention, or if you’d like to know more about an issue, your questions. If you need help crafting resolutions, please contact Government Relations Director Thom Petersen at firstname.lastname@example.org or (651) 288-4067.
- Health Care: What ideas do you have regarding this topic? Support for a public option such as Minnesota Care Buy-in? Support for extending the provider tax that funds Minnesota Care that will expire in 2019? Anything else?
- Trade: Support or opposition to current state of trade disputes with countries like China. Does your county support withdrawing from the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), or should we stay in it?
- Farm Bill: What does your county support or oppose about current versions of the proposed Farm Bill? The Farm bill expires Sept. 30, 2018 and MFU needs input now on safety net programs and conservation programs especially. Payment limitations are another big topic. Does your county support payment limitations? if so how much? Does your county support increasing CRP acreage?
- Ditch mowing: The Legislature extended the current moratorium on enforcing permits on roadside mowing and haying on state highways until April 30, 2019. The next Legislature will have to deal with this issue, does your county have ideas on this topic?
- Buffers: The current issue is would your county support using Clean Water (Sales Tax) dollars to compensate landowners for buffers? Or should it come from another fund?
- Artificial meat: Does your county have a position on newly created imitation meat products? Ideas on how to label those products?
- Renewable energy: Does your county have thoughts on either biofuel production or wind and solar development issues? RFS waivers? Siting issues?
- Local foods: As more and more MFU members are selling farm products directly to consumers, what are barriers that need to be addressed through resolutions? Regulations? Promotion? Supply? Processing?
- Rural broadband: What ideas does your county have for increased broadband capability? More funding? Some kind of mandate?
Again, these are just a few issues to think about at county conventions. MFU is grateful for the hundreds of resolutions received from members every year that help guide our policy.