September 3, 2014 at 01:09pm
The Minnesota Cooks program at the State Fair brings together those who value and support locally Minnesota grown food: farmers, consumers, and chefs. Onstage, chefs created dishes using fresh ingredients supplied by local farmers. Emcees Mary Lahammer of Twin Cities Public Television and JD Fratzke of The Strip Club Meat & Fish talked with chefs and a panel of farmer and local celebrity tasters in lively and meaningful discussions about their local food philosophies. At the end of each demonstration, the panel, as well as fairgoers, sampled the mouthwatering, farm-fresh fare.
“Join Minnesota Farmers Union as they present Minnesota Cooks Day at the State Fair, joining farmers, chefs and consumers in a dirt to dinner plate discussion on farm-fresh food, its availability, and challenges that farmers face in the new economy of food,” said Doug Peterson, Minnesota Farmers Union President and creator of Minnesota Cooks “The Minnesota Cooks program explores the edges of food production; some produce traditional and some non-traditional. Our discussion and dialogue with farmers, consumers and chefs will prove to be interesting and educational.”
2014 Farm and Resturant Pairings:
• Kirsten Shabaz with Valley Natural Foods demonstrated quick, healthy breakfast options.
• Mendoberri Café & Wine Bar featured apples from Wescott Orchard and Hidden Stream Farm.
• Wild Hare Bistro featured vegetables from Farmucopia.
• Tiny Diner, featured pork from Pastures A Plenty.
• Gorkha Palace, featured turkey from Ferndale market.
• Birchwood Café, featured black currants and blueberries from Blue Fruit Farm.
• Broadway Bistro, featured vegetables from Sundogs Prairie Farm.
• Wise Acre Eatery, featured bacon from Tangletown Gardens’ Farm.
• Gastrotruck, featuring mushrooms from Mississippi Mushrom.
• Terra Waconia, featuring vegetables from Pamered Pumpkin.
• Positively 3rd street bakery featured eggs from Locally Laid Egg Company.
• The Bluestem featured bison from Prairie Heights Bison.
• Mill Valley Kitchen, featured chicken from Kadejan, Inc.
• Easy & Oskey demonstrated inventive mocktails by using their popular Make Your Own Bitters Kit.
Local Celebrity and Farmer Tasters:
On hand to taste and share opinions of the fabulous food being prepared were celebrity tasters and farmers including:
• Lori Sturdevant, StarTribune
• Pakou Hang, Hmong American Farmers Association
• Roger Johnson, President of National Farmers Union
• Carrie Tollefsen, Minnesota Grown & Olympic Gold Medalist
• Monica Irwin, Budding Farmers
• Dave Fredrickson, Minnesota Commissioner of Agriculture
• Paul Huginin, Minnesota Grown
• Patrick Jon Weiland, Journalist and TV Producer and Director
• Rodney Allebach, President & General Manager of MN Farmers Union Insurance Agency
• Jason DeRusha , WCCO-TV
• Mike Rothman, Minnesota Commisioner of Comerce
• Tricia Cornell, Food Writer
• Megan O’Hara, Homegrown Minneapolis
• Stephanie Meyer, Fresh Tart
• Sue Zelickson, Women Who Really Cook & Charlie Awards
• Joy Summers, Food & Beverage Writer
• Joe Rolle, Chef
• Joe Glambruno, Bad Weather Brewing
Minnesota Cooks Calendar
The beautiful 12-month Minnesota Cooks calendar will continue its tradition of debuting at the event. This publication features stunning photography, enticing stories about the rich relationships these farmers and chefs share, and stellar recipes. For the duration of the fair, this calendar will be available at Minnesota Farmers Union’s building at 1635 Dan Patch Avenue.
Peak at some of what the Minnesota Cooks program has to offer, check out this video from one of our partners, Twin Cities Public Television, on the Farm Fresh Road Trip
Minnesota Cooks is presented by Minnesota Farmers Union. For more information:
“Like” Minnesota Cooks on Facebook http://goo.gl/NmI07O