February 13, 2014 at 03:19pm
ST. PAUL (February 13, 2014) – Minnesota Farmers Union (MFU) salutes the excellent work of the FFA during their National FFA week February 15-22, 2014.
“The FFA does such great work in fostering the skills necessary for our youth to excel and succeed,” said Doug Peterson, Minnesota Farmers Union President. “The agriculture sector is strong in good part because FFA provides the tools needed for personal growth and success in our future farm generations. We thank and salute FFA for their wonderful work in keeping not only the agriculture sector strong, but our rural and urban communities as well.”
“The challenge of farming today and for raising food for a growing nation and a hungry world will be met by our youth. It will take knowledge and hard work and we at Farmers Union believe the students of FFA will meet the demands as agriculture evolves in the 21st century,” Peterson added.
Minnesota Farmers Union supports FFA by:
- annually donating 20 FFA jackets through the Blue Jackets Bright Futures Program;
- working closely with the Metro Area FFA Alumni and Friends Association;
- judging numerous FFA competitions across the state;
- hosting the State Officers for a State Officer Professional Development day; and
- sponsoring an annual FFA essay contest encouraging students to learn about a new topic and its place in rural Minnesota and Minnesota’s economy. The winner receives $1000 for their FFA Chapter and a trip to Washington, D.C.;
- creating and facilitating the Minnesota FFA ag boot camp, a program specifically for older students interested in public policy.