February 25, 2014 at 11:13am
St. Paul, Minnesota (February 25, 2014) – Minnesota Farmers Union (MFU) welcomes the 2014 legislative session, and has an ambitious agenda awaiting legislators for what will be a very short session.
“The top issue for MFU this session at the Capitol is addressing several tax issues that have an impact on rural areas,” said Doug Peterson, MFU President. “MFU will be working to provide property tax relief to farmers who continue to experience rapidly rising property taxes.”
Other issues MFU will be working on include:
- legislation to repeal the sales tax on farm equipment repair;
- clarifying farmers’ markets rules;
- passing agritourism legislation;
- supporting transportation funding that benefits rural roads and infrastructure; and
- supporting Minnesota’s biofuel industry.
These are just some of the issues MFU will be working on in the 2014 legislative session, as well as what issues MFU members will be talking to legislators about when they head to the State Capitol on Tuesday March 18, for the MFU annual lobby day.